Women's soccer loses OT heartbreaker

A goal midway through the first overtime helped Minnesota Duluth come back from a two-goal deficit to post a wild 5-4 win over Wayne State in Northern Sun Conference women’s soccer action Sunday at the WSC Pitch.

The visiting Bulldogs scored two minutes into the game to take the early lead, but Wayne State came back with two goals in a six-minute span to take the lead. Sophie Ketchmark scored on a penalty kick late in the sixth minute to bring the game even, and Christina Stasi scored six minutes later on an assist from Hannah Knight to make it 2-1.

Duluth tied the game at 2-2 with less than 13 minutes to go in the half, but Wayne State found the net again just before halftime, as Carleigh Wilson got her first goal of the year off an assist from Natalie Rech to make it 3-2 at the break.

Wayne State made it a two-goal advantage less than two minutes into the second half when Alexis Strothers scored for the second time in as many days off an assist by Rachel Fraser to make it 4-2.

Duluth rallied with a goal in the 55th minute and another one 20 minutes later to send the game into overtime at 4-4. Duluth completed the comeback with a goal 5:11 into the first extra frame to post the 5-4 win.

Duluth held a 17-14 advantage in shots over the Wildcats and 10-6 in shots on goal. Wayne State had one more corner kick than Duluth 7-6 while the Bulldogs were called for 10 fouls to just five on the Wildcats.

Rech had a team-high three shots with one assist while Knight and Fraser also assisted on goals for Wayne State. Rachel Grisham was credited with five saves in goal.

The Wildcats (3-8-5, 2-7-4) will be at home on Friday, hosting Southwest Minnesota State at 3 p.m. in the final home game of the season at the WSC Soccer Pitch.

The Wayne Herald

Mailing Address:
114 Main Street
Wayne, NE 68787
Phone: 402-375-2600

Sign Up For Breaking News

Stay informed on our latest news!

Manage my subscriptions

Subscribe to My Wayne News Newsletter feed
Comment Here