Bail raised, attorneys appointed in Kubik murder case

At their initial appearances in court, the two suspects in the Kraig Kubik murder case each asked for court-appointed attorneys on Monday, Nov. 7.

County Court Judge Kurt Rager increased bail from $2,500,000/10% to $5,000,00/10% for both suspects, after appointing attorneys for each of them.

Preliminary hearings have been set for Dec. 6. Surber will be seen at 1 p.m. and Galvan-Hernandez's hearing starts at 1:30 p.m.
After finding human remains in rural Dixon County last week, Dixon and Dakota County Sheriff Offices along with the Nebraska State Patrol have been investigating a murder case that covered numerous counties as body parts were recovered.

Between law enforcement and a medical examiner, a positive identification was made. The remains were identified as belonging to Kraig Kubik, age 41. The medical examiner was able to determine that Kubik was the deceased based upon his findings.

Remains were recovered from rural Cedar County on Saturday, Nov. 5, approximately 4 miles from the initial location in Dixon County, which were also positively identified as belonging to Kubik. An autopsy revealed a gunshot wound to the head.

Based on the preliminary investigation results, two suspects were detained. Andres Surber and Brayan Galvan-Hernandez were charged with murder in the first degree as well as use of a firearm to commit a felony. Surber also was charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

Kubik was last seen Tuesday, Nov. 1 around 8:30 p.m. at his Dakota County residence. After Kubik's 5-year-old son commented at school about his father being harmed or killed, the Dakota County Sheriff's Office made a welfare check to the Kubik residence.

Upon their arrival, officers found what appeared to be a relatively fresh pool of blood, a blood trail and tire impressions. They made contact with Jaclyn Mahr, Kubik's girlfriend.
She informed officers she had heard from Kubik via text message around 10:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, but hadn't seen or heard from him since.

She informed officers that she had watched taped security footage from inside Kubik's residence and observed two individuals at Kubik's residence around 10:43 p.m. that night. Mahr believed she recognized one of those individuals as Andres Surber.

Mahr told officers she had been present earlier on Nov. 1, when Surber and an individual she knew as Brayan Galvan came to the residence demanding Kubik return a vehicle to Surber or make good on payment to him. She noted that Surber and Galvan were particularly aggressive and menacing during this confrontation.

Deputies reviewed the tapes and agreed that one individual resembled Surber, whom they had previous law enforcement contact with. While they were unable to positively identify the second individual with Surber, they were aware that Brayan Galvan-Hernandez often associated with Surber.

After making contact with Galvan-Hernandez and Surber at Galvan-Hernandez's residence, officers found shoes with apparent blood stains on them, as well as clothing and other evidence.

Eventually, human remains were found in the trunk of a car Surber owned that he had parked on property belonging to the Surber family. Evidence was recovered by officers at that location, including a burn barrel and evidence of an accelerant investigators believe was used to burn evidence.

These findings paired with witness statements led the Dakota County Sheriff's Office to charge both Surber and Galvan-Hernandez with first degree murder.

The Wayne Herald

Mailing Address:
114 Main Street
Wayne, NE 68787
Phone: 402-375-2600

Sign Up For Breaking News

Stay informed on our latest news!

Manage my subscriptions

Subscribe to My Wayne News Newsletter feed
Comment Here